Last Updated on
We have seen the evolution of cameras from time to time. Companies manufacture new models that try to outlive an older model. Here is a detailed analysis of compact system cameras and bridge cameras.
Compact system cameras
They are also known as mirrorless cameras or CSCs for short, and they are very simple to operate. In a CSC camera, the light passes through the camera lens and direct to the image sensor, which in turn captures the preview of the image captured.
These compact system cameras are efficient because they allow the user to change the lenses, the CSCs are generally lighter, smaller and as said before very easy to use, they are smaller compared to the DSLRs because they lack the 45 degrees mirror that reflects light, that is why it is easier to carry a mirrorless camera around. However, you might find one or two monster size mirrorless cameras.
The compact system cameras were introduced with one primary aim, to provide quality images and to offer a wide range of interchangeable lenses of a DSLR camera but in a smaller package. The DSLRs camera still has the best autofocus speed in the history of the camera, but with time this seems to change because mirrorless autofocus is improving day by day.
Then why should one buy a CSC camera? The CSC offers high-quality images, gives the owner a lot of creative control and to top it all gives them the option to attach different lenses according to the quality of pictures they target.
Mirrorless cameras are suitable for shooting high-quality videos such as 4K or even ultra HD. CSCs use phase detection, so they are faster and more accurate. Video shooting is made possible because of the presence of superior autofocus in most compact system cameras models.
CSC cameras are very much efficient, due to the absence of a mirror the camera is capable of taking images after images, and it is designed to shoot more photos per second, at higher shutter speeds.
The battery of CSC cameras is removable, to mean that you can always carry a spare and continue enjoying capturing quality pictures and videos every day.
Above are the advantages that the compact system cameras associate with, CSCs surely gives anyone the value of their money considering the price. This camera also has some disadvantages; some I have listed below-
- The battery span of a mirrorless camera is very short compared to the DSLRs; it has around 300-400 shots maximum. If you want to capture more, you will have to recharge or have spare batteries with you.
- Mirrorless cameras give the owner limited access to a small number of lenses
- The CSC camera is hard to use in low light due to the absence of a viewfinder
- The autofocus is a bit slower compared to the DSLR to mean that the ability to capture moving objects is minimal.
Bridge cameras are popular and suitable for beginner photographers, it is quite small, and owners use it for everyday shooting. A bridge camera can be easily described as a compact camera only that it has a more significant body, and the only thing that differentiates it from other compact cameras is that it has a non-removable lens that covers extraordinary focal lengths than regular compact cameras.
The bridge cameras are here to replace the traditional DSLRs cameras, the resemblance between the two cameras, bridge cameras are much affordable compared to the DSLRs. A bridge camera does not have an optical viewfinder, but some of them have an electronic viewfinder, the light goes through the lenses straight to the sensors, they do not require a mirror or even a prism. The bridge camera is characterized by its lens that is quite good in zooming compared to the DSLRs. It can zoom up to 50× zoom, and the modest models can offer up to 20× zoom, the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS is a perfect example of a bridge camera, its lens extends from a mere 24mm to a whopping 1200mm, a DSLR camera with such characteristics would be costly and even very heavy.
The bridge camera has several distinctive features that are not in any other camera, even in recent times. It has an external microphone input for clear and better audio when recording videos, though the video qualities are always pretty much standard. Current bridge cameras offer GPS services, and some of them can connect to Wi-Fi to enable the sharing of pictures and videos captured. In a quick summary let me highlight why you should purchase the bridge camera.
- First, it is because of the lens- it has a lens capable of maximum zooms, it is suitable for capturing images of objects that you can’t get close to, such are wild animals.
- It is equipped with the EVF- with a viewfinder which is essential among older use with a vision problem, or those who find LCD screens impossible to use clear, especially in bright conditions.
- The bridge cameras are easy to use, they have lots of decent buttons, so the user need not always to revisit the menu, and also offers a good grip.
- They are very affordable.
why you should not purchase the bridge camera models:
- The image quality offered by bridge cameras is not that good due to the presence of small sensors.
- Some are very expensive and do not deliver the intended results.
The type of camera you chose will depend mostly on your preferences, some will want small, and the other will want big cameras. It is hard to place a verdict on the two types of cameras discussed above because each is someone’s favorite. However, I must analyze the performance and determine which is better than the other. Bridge cameras are typically compact cameras only that it has a sizeable non-removable lens, this as much as an advantage the camera is not capable of capturing short-range images and videos, that is why the compact system seems better, they have an adjustable lens that is removable. They offer quality pictures and videos compared to the bridge cameras.