Are you looking for a third-party flash for your canon camera? Finding a speed-lite or a flash for your camera requires you to ascertain specific things. Always ensure it suits your needs regardless of your experience in photography. Here are some of the best third-party flash for canon you are likely to come across:
5 best third party flashes for canon (Review)
Best Overall: Godox TT600 Camera Flash for Canon
The Godox TT600 is a third-party flash designed for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, and other top camera brands. The flash boasts of the ability to produce natural images and videos thanks to its vertical rotating angle ranging from 7-90 degrees. With a radio transmission, it can sieve through sounds to bring out the best recording experience. Its current price of $65 caters for shipping charges and other accessories such as a min stand, protection case, instruction manual, diffuser, and filters.
- The flash is compatible with top brand cameras including Canon, Nikon, and Pentax among others.
- Its net weight of 1.15 pounds makes it easier to mount and travel with it without breaking a sweat.
- It has a 2.4g radio transmission, making it easier to transmit signals when shooting a video regardless of the distance between the user and the object.
- With High-speed sync, it can easily connect with an aperture to fill flash on a portrait setup.
- Its high guide number allows it to produce exceptional images.
- The flash is manual hence the user may find it difficult to use when shooting many images at the same time.
- It doesn’t come with a trigger.
Second, Best Overall: Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II Flash for Canon
Before technology took over the world of photography, it was mandatory to buy the same brand flash unit, to enhance compatibility between the flash and the camera. All that changed when Yongnou YN600EX-RT II was discovered. Its high guide number explains why it comes with a radio slave for canon cameras.
- Though its price is slightly higher than its counterparts, its features and functionality justify.
- It can be used as a master-slave because it supports the wireless flash shooting to tinker the other brands.
- Its radio triggers itself if you are on an off-camera setup. The flash units you will use will also influence its performance.
- Its durable casing prevents it from getting spoilt in harsh weather conditions.
- It is compatible with TTL/M/Multi flash along with other canon-affiliated features including the High-speed sync (HSS).
- It can add some purple to the flare of light to produce a more natural image. This is something any newbie would want when working with them.
- It isn’t the most recommended Speedlite for everyday use.
- Its casing isn’t as reliable as expected.
Best Budget: Neewer TT560 Flash for Canon
Are you a professional photographer with a tight budget? The Neewer TT560, powered by the Slant Community is the Speedlite to buy. Not only is it cheap, but it is also reliable for people who do photography for a living. This means that newbies may find it difficult to operate such a device until they are trained. Still, the beginner can read through the manual and test it out before taking it to the field.
- It costs slightly more than $30 but it has some outstanding features to justify the price. You will hardly find a Speedlite with durable casings, overheating protection and power saver.
- Its inner circuits don’t overheat even when they are triggered more than ten times. Its self-cooling system will set it back on track.
- It can closely work with light from other sources even when on slave mode.
- It is compatible with devices from top brands including Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, etc.
- It isn’t the most recommended flash for beginners. Tinkering the settings of the flash requires an expert.
- It isn’t the best for zoomed images as this may result in wastage of light.
Second, Best Budget: Altura Photo Professional Flash for Canon
Are you interested in a high-quality and affordable photography flash? Altura photo is one of the best third-party flashes for Nikon you will ever come across in professional digital photography. It contains some of the best features to suit the demands of a modern photographer. It is designed for portrait photographers in enclosed spaces or outdoors.
- Its powerful flash number is a clear indication that it produces sleek and natural images just like any newbie deserves.
- Its easy-to-assemble manual can make any beginner’s work easier. You are required to slide the transmitter onto your camera’s hot-shoe along with the flash onto the receiver. And voila!
- Its flash sync speeds up to 1/250s is an essential element in promoting the wireless shutter release.
- The flash is compatible with all Nikon digital cameras, making it easier for Nikon buyers to make an informed choice.
- The flash is backed with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can always take it back to your provider or ask for a refund if you aren’t contented with its quality.
- Its price may discourage professional photographers from buying it. Because of this, most analysts may advise them to seek other alternatives that may seem to work.
Best Value: Godox V1-C Flash for Canon
Those who have used Godox products before can attest to its high-quality lights. This one of the things most photographers are probably looking for, which is why they would recommend this Speedlite flash from the rest. Could it be what you are looking for?
- This flash contains robust features, making it perfect for in-house and outdoor shooting spaces.
- It has an adjustable built-in LED lamp that emits light in darker places and harmonizes light in daylight settings. It also acts as the backup light when there is a power outage.
- It comes with plenty of accessories including a battery, charger, USB charging cable, and per gear color filters among others.
- Its flash duration of 1/300 to 1/20000 seconds makes it easier for photographers to take as many images as they can. Later, you can select the images you would like to save from those that weren’t taken professionally.
- It may overheat during the shooting process.
Buying Guide: For the best third party flash for canon
Whether you are using your canon camera for professional or leisure services, an on-camera flash is an essential accessory. Not only does it add light when it gets dark, but it also balances the unstable conditions in daylight. Take the following factors into consideration before buying a Speedlite flash:
Check if it is an on-camera, off-camera, or an on-camera flash
An on-camera flash can be connected to your camera. They are often used as off-camera, which is different from other strobe-light sources. Though these strobes aren’t supposed to be directly connected to the camera, they rely on self-sufficient power.
The automatic technology
Any legit flash device that is being sold in the market must come with manual controls. The user also needs to understand how the shutter speeds and apertures work to produce light as it is required. Guide numbers are systematic, which is why they are presented in a numerical format. If you aren’t conversant with the numerical formats in the manual, you can ask your provider to clarify it for you.
Does it have a radio transmission?
Most modern flashes are fitted with HSS features that allow them to transmit signals to the user. Whether you want to use it in a plainland or a rugged place, it should produce natural images. In case you are recording a live experience, the radio transmission will help in sieving unwanted sounds in the background.
Most people believe that the higher the price of a given commodity, the better it is. Some of these Speedlite flashes are worth more than their counterparts. What is the justification behind the pricing? If it had a predecessor from the same company, then the price will be higher for a much-improved version. It means other essential features have been added to give photographers an easy time. However, it is advisable to go for the one that suits your demand, instead of spending much on something that doesn’t fulfill your obligations.
Have you gotten your camera ready? Is it in good condition? If yes, you aren’t ready for the breathtaking shooting moment you will have when you add a Speedlite flash to it. Of course, you will come across many versions, many of which have the latest features. However, you need to assess your needs and match them to the flash device you want to buy. If the price discourages you from buying a specific brand, you can still choose from the wide range of devices from selected stores. If you are a risk-taker, there is no harm in spending what you have to get what you deserve. Have a flashy shooting experience!